Skip to main content

Learning to Cycle

The little one has been at it for the last few weeks. Off and on, she wants to learn to cycle. As a learner, there was a clear motivation to learn. There have been moments of frustration, of despair, of wanting to give up and of the feeling that this is not going to work.

Aside: The 8 psychosocial stages: At this age, between 5 and 12, they want reassurance that they can 'make it in the world of people and things'. So, the frustrations can have deeper ramifications - and there, there were small successes that she was able to notch up, but it was not adding up (in her mind).

But the motivation kept her going, trying time and again - over a few weeks a few minutes and there, but not sustained effort.

As a teacher/parent, what can one do - provide the scaffolding, words of encouragement, show them the path and put in corrective techniques, among other things.

Today, it all fell in place. First getting the starting power right (one needs a push to get started - and sometimes the teacher gives that initial push). This is usually the toughest part of bicycling in the initial stages - starting off.

Once that technique was absorbed, then it was about looking straight ahead - and not down, as children often tend to do.

Two pieces done, it was then about maintaining balance (which was almost there, but alongwith a fear of what if i fall). This was accomplished by running behind and adjusting the balance a little bit.

The next part was to tackle, what-if-I-fall? So, we tried a simple experiment with the standing bicycle where she realized that she cannot fall  - her legs always seemed to stop her from falling. So, why not try that while riding, by adding the brake element. That seemed to work as well.

So, then the next time, as she learnt to 'take off', she was gliding and able to stop (not exactly at perfect 10 stop, but a wobbly, violent stop). And then we went a step further, she was allowed to 'take off' and go around. And that pushed her confidence and giggling and disbelief to an uncontrollable level - that she can do it. A video was taken as 'proof' that she can cycle. And then she became more and more confident shouts of 'I know you are you not holding' started.

So, the only part was the take off on her own which was done too.

The feeling of a learning accomplishment is such a great feeling - the post event debrief did not work well as the little one went on to downplay the entire learning as a 'neither happy nor sad', but of equanimous acceptance, so that part did not work.

All in all, one of the great joys is seeing your student learn to break free. As I often say, in my hang glider analogy - the running with the glider happens, but what when the cliff ends - will the glider stay afloat or fall - when the support or scaffolding ends, does the rider continue to glide or soar? And learning to bicycle continues to be one of the best examples of learning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...