Skip to main content

Nudge...

The economics of places where buses stop for night halts are usually very interesting. For a variety of reasons. Many a time the food quality is bad - like outrightly bad - but the bus staff get a good deal (usually free) so the bus stops there. They stop at random places sometimes - like a lime juice place or a tea place in the middle of the night. Or pick up boiled tapioca (this is a mind-blowing snack - try it sometime) sellers and then drop them off a kilometre or two away while getting their snacks in return. So, the bus passengers are dependent on the place and some often end up eating there.

It was one such place the bus halted a few days ago. And this place, apart from the usual food - sometimes a 'pan' shop, sometimes a juice counter or an ice-cream counter or a general store had a few more things.

One was a shop that sold pickles. One was a toy shop. One was pop corn counter. And one was a counter that sold 'Maths' books - a book that claimed to make Maths and English easy or something like that. I wondered what these stalls did here.

Through the halt of 30 mns, the toy stall had sold a few toys to both kids and to those presumably going to meet a kid or grandkid. The pickle and masala shop had sold a variety of pickles. The pop corn counter did brisk business. The book stall did not do any business while I was there, but I am sure there is a reason why it is there. (There was another stall on 'Science at home' which was shut at this unearthly hour, but I have seen that shop do brisk business at a few other halts).

So what is happening?

My theory is - nudge. That bit of nudge - at a place where presumably people have to step out of the bus - because the staff usually locks the bus to reduce the incidence of thefts etc. My observation was that the purchases were made mostly by people who did not have dinner there.

Once people go for food they are stuck inside and the restaurant gets their business. There are a few who either carry their own food (those rascals) or do not eat. They are also a captive audience and cannot wander away too far. These stalls are there to capture their business. And with the right kind of 'nudge' - just the presence of a shop and round figure costs which are not very high - people buy them.

The toy shop is aimed at kids (some who throw a tantrum or who need to pacified for a bus journey) or grandparents who want to buy a gift. The pickles are for someone who is looking for something 'out of the ordinary' or 'local'. The popcorn is to while time and the book is also some thing on similar lines. At an affordable price the book promises genius in not one but two subjects - so why not? The science store is a very interesting one and piques the curiosity of many.

It is also impulsive buyer behaviour - but the way this halt was organised - with the variety - clearly some thought had gone into it.

What has that got to do with learning?

One - nudge is very important when it comes to learning. The right kind of nudge. Apart from pushing learning reluctant throats - nudge is a smart idea. And it works very well when used the right way.

Two - timing. The nudge should also happen when I as a learner need it. Without that, it won't work.

As I stood there watching the customers and the shopkeepers, it was a fabulous lessons for me...And no, I did not buy anything - the science store at the previous halt had already made me buy something interesting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...