Skip to main content

The Creative Act: A way of being

Somebody recommended this book somewhere and as I am wont to do, I bought it. I am a sucker for books on creativity. Especially if it is recommended. By someone I know. Or dont. Or on Amazon. Thus it is that I have a collection of books on Creativity. 

Helps that somewhere along the way, I self identify as a creative person. And over the years, I have in my own way understood creativity. 

Helps also that I conduct creativity workshops and thus have an insight into creativity. 

All said and done, I picked up Rick Rubins book -The creative act. I had no idea who Rick Rubin was - I forgot to google- this was an impulse buy remember. Turns out that he is a creative musician (yes, the book has a lot of references to music). 

So, done with all the backstory. Lets get to the book.

The book is a master piece of writing on the creative process. Hands down the best book I have ever read that captures the creative process (if you call it capturing, because the whole point of the creative process is about being creative and non conformist) in such a beautiful fashion. 

Ideas come. Ideas go. Do you know how to kindle the brain to get to that flash of insight? Rick calls this ideation/insight process a gift from the universe. Are you listening, he asks. And you are just a mere instrument in making the idea happen - the idea is floating in the universe in a manner of speaking. So, how do you align, body mind and soul with the universe and prepare yourself for receiving the idea? He calls the creative process divine - well almost. And meditative. And having got that flash of insight, how do you nurture it? How to execute? What might happen? What might go wrong? And then what? Rick turns over every tiny stone on the path. 

Rick takes you through this process like a meandering river. And it meanders through every possible path.  The book flows through pretty much all aspects of creativity and takes you through in a gentle manner. This is a book to be savoured. Read slowly. Dipped into. 

This book is meditative. He speaks of detachment. Following the path. Trusting the process. What does that sound like? Yes, Creativity is a deep spiritual experience and he asks, are you able to see it? Feel it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...