Skip to main content

Where do you want to be?

Last week, I discussing with a friend on career moves. 

And my career has been anything but linear. And when I say that I don’t mean stratospheric growth, it means that over time I have moved my career in many a direction before finding my feet. I have worked in many a function, technical, operations, support before settling down on what I think is what I want to do. 

That decision has not been easy. You see, my qualifications are different – as per my qualifications I should be doing something else. As per my experience, I should be doing something else. If one combines qualification and experience it is something else (whatever that is). 

There are no established rules for success - your qualifications need not hold you back at all. And the real world is all about such people. I am sure you have met such people. As much as it is great to have your interest building up your qualifications leading to your experience, it is also equally great to build your career with the bricks you find on your way.
 These are some examples I have encountered in my life. Think about it. A medical doctor friend of mine started working in a brokerage. No apparent connection. But he used his medical knowedge with his financial interest to focus analyzing pharma companies. A finance friend of mine went into medical sales and then onto travel. Again, he used his knowledge of finance with an interest in marketing to succeed. And you will find such entrants in many industries - changing the way the game is played - simply because they dont have "dogmas" that often come with qualifications and experience. On the contrary - their cross industry experience, often makes it easier for them to challenge status quo by asking, "if we could do it there, why can it be done here?"

But the key is to love what one is doing. Putting interest in the mix did not ring bells, until one fine day it happened (or so I felt). The trick for the interest question is perhaps (again, my experience), “Do I like doing this on a consistent basis.” YMMV, of course. Ask this question day in and day out as you reach your desk each Monday. Ask the question do you dread your week days or do you look forward to them? Do you feel stressed doing what you are doing or are you able to do it effortlessly (does not mean lazily). Does work feel like work or play? Do you wake up in the middle of the night with a Eureka idea or would you rather not wake up at all?


Point being, as we move roles, there is a good chance that it appears that the qualifications or experience are not adding up. So, if I am a technologist who is trying to get into something else, it is not about what you left behind, it is about what you are going toward. And in that journey, what you left behind is a sunk cost. It will help you, by and large, but don’t let it hold you back from trying out something new.Also, it appears that it wont add up, but you can make add up if you want it to. Making it all add up will add more juice, if you will, to your career.

Therefore, in your career, always think about this – It is not where you were, It is where you want to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...