Skip to main content

Disrupting the Training Industry

Recently, I read this piece on how Linkedin is eating up the recruitment market. In a nutshell, what that means is that candidates can be found by anyone on Linkedin – so why use third party services? And some time back, Linkedin had opened up to third party recruiters- and later on launched its own recruitment tool. So, eventually, nobody needs to use third party recruiters, because Linkedin has it all.

How Linkedin is eating the recruitment industry.(Read it all, worth your time)

Now let us think about training. There is an entire industry out there that service various companies, individuals and many other kinds needs in the training space. There are a slew of universities that offer tailored MBA programs, Executive education apart from various bodies offering certifications of various kinds. Now, the internet is busy disrupting this market. And it is only a stone’s throw away. The best courses from all over  the world are available on the internet. Coursera for example. EdX for another. And generalassemb.ly. And then there are MOOC’s offered by Standford university and others.And these are just the tip of the iceberg. Harvard Managementor is a premier online learning module for management skill (and you thought that the behavioural training industry was beyond reach?)

The big catch though is that, while you get to ‘virtually’ interact with students, attend fairly high quality lectures and submit projects and assignments – you don’t get a certificate from the university (atleast not yet). I suspect this is partly because of ‘geographical licencing issues’ or because it is free (which is a big win). But if you don’t care too much about a certificate from a university and are more interested in the pursuit of knowledge, then this is for you.

You may think that this is the tip of the iceberg and that this will not affect the work that we do – especially as standalone training organizations, corporate training groups and many many others in this space. But, believe me, it will. Disruptive innovations start at a low end of the market, where the 'higher-end' competitors cannot be bothered or attack from a totally different perspective - in this case, connectivity and technology.

The company funded university programs will need to look beyond tie-ups from universities and look at offering ‘time’ to employees to take up internet enabled courses. (And build better due diligence to ensure that there is no fraud there.)

Once virtual classes get better, there is no reason, why high end certifications cannot be got from the very best in the world instead of settling for something that is ‘nearly there’.

And this is just scratching the surface – there is more happening out there that is changing the way people learn. The only one that is kind of not affected is – experiential learning, outbounds and suchlike.

And may remain unaffected for a while now, but till when? And till then, well, watch your backs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...