Skip to main content

Building a USP

Recently we visited a few temples in Tamil Nadu - across Rameswaram and Kanyakumari and the vicinity. Rameswaram, of course, is the site of the place from Rama made his epic journey to Sri Lanka and the place is filled with numerous references to the Ramayana. The government could, of course, create a 'Ramayana Trail' like Sri Lanka has done, but leave that aside for the moment, because what the government cannot or will not do is created by the market and the auto-drivers and tour operators and temples have done that.

But across the landscape every temple we visited had a USP. Like the Bhagavathy Amman temple in Kanyakumari - its USP was that the reflection of the diamond nose ring of the goddess idol used to be visible from the sea. The Tiruchendur temple, apart from its antiquity and historical and mythological significance, practically located on the beach has a wall where you hear 'Om' if your put your ear to it (created by the sea breeze). The Uttirakosamangai temple has a 6 foot emerald idol. Imagine that these USP's have existed for millenia and people keep coming to it even today. For some it is the architecture. For some it is the religious significance. For some it is history. And so on.

As we build various things - sites, programs, services, think about the USP - the branding - what does that brand stand for? How do you get your audience to come there? What is the USP for the various audiences who you intend to service? And are you able to communicate it? Are you able to sustain it? Are you able to serve the value you intend to?

What is the USP - or UVP - Unique Value Proposition that will keep people coming to it for many years - again and again? Worth a thought!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...