Skip to main content

What is creativity?

What is creativity? I have attempted to answer this question a few times here and many times in my own mind.

There is no real confusion in the minds of those who do it. But for the outside world, there is often a confusion between aesthetic creativity and problem solving creativity.

Most people only recognize the former as creativity while missing the latter. So, if you ask people, the common answers that you will get on creativity is about music, movies, filmstars and such like. And often creativity is also confused with being 'fashionable' or 'wearing the right clothes' or 'I am different'  and this is creative, no doubt - because even being different is creative, but it may not result in any direct contribution to anything.

So, if you are called in as a 'creative' expert to beautify/colour/spruce up some junk that someone else made, then believe me, you are being aesthetically creative (most likely) or perhaps helping a lazy person survive in the organization, but not really adding value. In other words, you are in the business of constructing decorations as Edward Tufte says. (Honourable exceptions, graphic designers with a knowledge and expertise and people in similar professions.)

Enough rant. So, what is my definition of creativity?

Can the above set of people, create those presentations they are called into spruce up? And if they can, why are they not called into create them? (therein lies part of the answer). Therefore, this kind of creativity is superficial creativity (caveat: it is likely that such people can be genuinely creative). Refuse this kind of work each time it comes to you and ask yourself what is the knowledge you can equip yourself with in order to get there.

But real creativity cannot come with deep knowledge. Without knowledge, you will be employed only for superficial creativity. With knowledge you will be employed to solve real problems.

Creativity then, is your ability to have a deep knowledge of any (or many) fields - and yet being able to step out of the imposed boundaries of those rules and think differently and solve a problem.
If you can, with a deep knowledge of music, create a different music? Think AR Rehman.
If you can, with a deep knowledge of surgery, create a different approach? Think Aravind.

Therefore, If you can, with a deep knowledge of <substitute your field of expertise> solve something there, that is it, you are creative.

Without knowledge, there is no creativity. Perhaps there is, in children - who are being creative without really knowing anything.

If you can retain that healthy attitude of questioning of a child with the knowledge of an adult, you may be onto something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...