Skip to main content

Learning as a disability

Sometimes, learning erects these high walls in front of us. I was reading the book 'Mastery' and it struck me that, yes, it does indeed happen.

The book calls it as a learning disability. Yes, it happens to every one of us. It happens to organizations, blindsided as it were by their high walls. It has happened to forts and fortifications, literally because of their high walls. And it happens to people as well.

People like us, who are professionally qualified often look at the 'untaught' 'expert' with scorn. Yet it is often these 'untaught' experts that go on to make disruptive ideas, start ups - because they do not come with the 'teaching' that it cannot be done.

Experts refuse to acknowledge a new process or method - blocked as they are from viewing it, thanks to the high walls they raised in the process of being an expert.

We often do it as well - when a child asks us very simple questions, we often wonder how we did not see it ourselves.

And in many organizations, this is known as building kingdoms where other than building forts on desks and manning the turrets with email cannons, everything akin to a war is fought to protect kingdoms and turfs...

How does one ensure that there is a childlike curiosity whenever we look at something new? How to ensure that we look at everything as an opportunity rather than a threat? How to look at a market with fresh eyes every time without having to blindsided by nimble opponents? Questions, questions...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...