Skip to main content

On Selling

 Had a small interaction with a sales team of a learning company on "How to sell to L&D" folks.

What is unique about selling to L&D folks? Having been on both sides of the table, here are some of my observations:

As a seller:

L&D teams want complete solutions. That doesn't necessarily mean they will buy the complete solution - but they want to know that you have the complete solution. 

On the other hand they will want to integrate everything you have to everything they have even if it is an xl sheet. Or competency framework. They want everything to talk their language.

They love customization. They will want customization. They will ask customization. They hate to pay for customization though. How to tackle this?

Almost always never get into price negotiations. Get into value conversations. And as the price reduces, convey the value reduction. For this price, you get this - and so on. That doesnt mean you dont reduce the price - there are situations you will do that, but price cannot be your sole point of negotiation.  

My favourite framework for sellers is the Trusted advisor framework by David Maister. As a seller, if I am the first person they can think of when it comes to their challenges - I am in a great place. I want conversations with them where we talk about stuff that is going on even though it may not result in work for me right away. And I often call up such sales people - who know the lay of the land. It helps me stay abreast of what is going in the market. 

You want to get referrals from them. And you often do. A lot of work comes via referrals. So, if they like to refer you - you are in a good place. 

It is a small world. They talk to each other. 

There are people who do proposal scouting. Avoid them. 

There is almost always a question on ROI. And it can be measured - but almost always they wont walk the talk on it. 

Tick in the boxes are real. 

It is a long game. LnD work will repeat every year. 

As a buyer:

On the other hand, if you are a pushy sales guy - na. I hate it. Or if you only talk your product, well, I dont want that either. 

You guys have no idea of how many places I have referred companies to - even though I might never have given business to you directly. 

This is me, but I want unique solutions. I like to try out new stuff. And almost always I give a patient hearing to someone who is creating something new. This is my personal bias. 

I hate it if you send me pushy mails. Or so called "action driven" mails. Can we meet next Wed or Thursday - I can see through that. I am around next week - can we catch up - No. Reminder on reminder - please don't. 

Of course, I want updates. New products. New stuff you got going. Spam me selectively, I will read.

I like it if you guys are knowledgeable. Dont b*s me - please. I know most of the things going around. 

Tips nobody tells you:

For all their talks on risk taking - LnD folks dont take risk when it comes to training solutions. They love trusted partners. The higher your guarantee of success the higher your chance of them calling you back. 

You can move with them as they change organizations. 

TTT's never work - almost. 

L&D for engagement is a real thing for many L&D teams regardless of your (my) belief in them. 

ROI conversations are also real  - so either go after the org goal and sign up for it or agree with stakeholders that LnD is almost a correlation solution, not causatory. (Both work equally well, IMO)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...