Skip to main content

Hybrid training

 As someone who was sceptical of Virtual Facilitation (I practically learnt it only in the post pandemic era), I have come to terms with it. And at some point, got comfortable with it. 

But a hybrid session - with a few folks online and few offline is truly challenging. For one, the rooms are not built to take it. The facilitator voice has to be carried from where the facilitator walks. Two, we need to be able to treat them a group (or groups).

Net result is a bit of a broken sub optimal experience. You forget to engage the virtual folks. Or if you are using a tool - a physical tool - they cant use it. Or they lose your voice and so on and so forth. We somehow managed it the last time we did a hybrid session - but yes, this is a problem that has not been solved for fully. 

Some companies which have a built video conference rooms - these have mic pick ups throughout, the participants can see each other, the facilitator and the room - such places offer truly seamless hybrid experience, but other than that, hybrid sessions are an uphill climb. 

Now that schools have started and teachers are working on online sessions - I can only imagine how much of a pain it is - thats when this thought came back to me. 

As I said earlier, the post covid world will see some changes  and this is one of the changes I hope to truly see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...