Skip to main content

2022 L&D Learnings

  • Different companies different pace. Work at the pace your company/client wants you work at
  • Culture building is a slow process, painfully slow. 
  • Like painting a wall, multiple coats are required for the paint to stick and then some. Each time the wall peels off, you have to repaint it, else, well, the culture wall looks ugly.
  • Leader engagement, involvement is crucial (makes a huge difference) for any L&D programs success. 
  • L&D's job is not to get people into the room. If people are not coming to the room (real or virtual), perhaps they dont need what you have to offer. (Think of a TV channel complaining, they have no viewers - yes, you get the idea)
  • People in start-ups are obsessed with customer. Training may not be prioritized. Live with it. Show them how training will help them achieve their goal - that is a killer goal for L&D. 
  • L&D is often used an engagement tool. I dont like, but companies use it
  • Take business objectives and run with it - everything else has a high risk of falling into the engagement bucket.
  • How about using L&D as reward rather than engagement? This is an idea that has worked well, but falls by the wayside because companies do not want to be seen as "biased".
  • Almost all online content services want to sell gym memberships that they know you wont use. Now, it is upto you whether you want a gym membership that gives you access to everything or all you really need is a yoga mat. Make your choices wisely (especially if you are a small company)
  • 2 day sessions became 8 hours. 8 hours became 4. 4 became 2. This is challenging and frustrating at the same time. We have decided to make the most of it by embracing 2 hour sessions and challenging ourselves do more of it.
  • So, make those 2 hours count. 
  • And yes, if they come back asking for more after those 2 hours, you may be on the right track.
  • Personal learning - Product building takes time. 108% Indian is slowly picking up steam and making a name for itself as an Indian innovation tool.
  • As much we need to talk about the future of L&D, the future is not in AI or metaverse or VR. Yes, they are needed for self learning and learning on demand, but skill building is best done the boring old way - practicing and jamming with peers - until we have a truly good AI assessor/helper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...