Skip to main content

Classes for anything and everything?

 If everything is taught, what remains? How does a child learn to be spontaneous and learn by serendipity if everything is taught?

I recently saw an ad for Lego classes and it left me wondering. 

My EO learnt Lego by going through the "idea book" - often as father and son. We started off by making Legos as mentioned in the idea book, but very soon, the Lego was dismantled and became a part of his imagination. This was the fate of every set - except the railway set (I got only the locomotive and the tracks) and a set which had Gandalf. 

And then what we made became a story. This is a creative process I have enjoyed much and we created vehicles like a snowpusher (no it doesnt exist) or an ice jeep or gliding horse or a double decker with 4 decks or a vehicle that was made every brick we had. We made endless towers that stretched from floor to ceiling and airports and cities that spanned our entire room. 

And that was the extent of my expertise - He outpaced me very soon. As he grew he learnt the rest, via YouTube and learnt techniques, DIY and many other things. And became a virtual Lego fan and he might well go on to become an AFOL. He could wax eloquent on every brick and every curve and every idea. 

This is a self learning process. 

I learnt Lego facilitation and in that one of the assignments was to build something. There was a distinct difference between someone who knew to build and someone who did not. Someone who knew it had to unlearn and relearn spontaneity. 

So thinking aloud, what is the space for self learning if everything is taught?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...