Skip to main content

A question of Intent - not

A lot of times, as Human Resources, we end up questioning the intent of people we work with or we hired. Whether this is intentional or inadvertent, I cant say for sure, but many a time this is what I have observed.

And I strongly feel that the moment we do that, we question ourselves and our hiring judgement. Apart from sounding sanctimonious and arrogant - we are at that point, doubting a peer. And a lot of our assumptions stem from here - stated or unstated.

Most of the times the argument is unstated - but it points in the direction of questioning intent. Intent can be questioned - no doubt - with the right evidence, but without the right evidence, questioning intent is just superciliousness.

Recently, in the unconscious bias class - everything was about bias. The intent of the entire organization was questioned - without any credible data.
During performance appraisal calibration - there is a question of intent. Why is someone being promoted? Why is someone not?

Here is an alternative: Question systems and processes and incentives that reward a type of behaviour. The answer will be far better than what one gets by questioning intent. The problem with the former is that most of these are set and run by HR, therefore the easy way out may be by questioning intent.

So, the next time you see yourself question intent, question your incentives (and processes/systems/culture). You will get better outcomes I promise.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...