Skip to main content

Once upon a panel

Ever so often one gets to be on a panel or see a panel as part of a conference. Here are my tongue in cheek observations.

1. See the topic. Again. And again. Underline it.
2. Now, stick to it.  With Fevicol.
3. Do not go here and there like a jumpy cat. Stay on point. The topic.
4. If you have never seen, held or spoken into a mike in your life, please see one and then come on the panel. Don't behave as if its the first time someone gave you the mike and hold on it for dear life. It is not a straw though you are drowning.
5. If people don't listen to you anyhow, the place to try and validate it is not on a panel.
6. There are other people in a panel as well - if you had to be given a voice to speak by yourself, they would have invited for the damn keynote.
7. Moderator, your job is to moderate. And that includes stealing mikes, ensuring panelists don't share their life story or meaningless information or ramble along. Thou shall herd the cats into the fence known as the topic.
8. Panelist, when the moderator says, keep it short, keep it really short
9. Do not take yourself so seriously as a panelist. Likely you spoke the same thing in a previous conference and you will speak the same in the next one. Its alright. Nobody is taking you seriously anyway. Ever heard of a panel discussion that changed the world? No right? Exactly.
10. Let the audience feel, I want to hear him/hear say more and not, I wish he/she stops rambling
11. There is a time limit - for you and the whole panel. The idea is to make that time meaningful and not stop it like a summer in a desert craving for water.
12. When you say, I have a sentence to add. Add only a sentence. Not a word more. And a simple sentence at that, not a paragraph disguised as a sentence.
13. If you all agree, then we needed only one panel member. So, disagree. Debate. Shake it up. Or agree and make it better. Remember, yes, and.
14. Did you hear the audience applaud? Nod their head? No? They are probably asleep or bored. Or they just disappeared into their phones.
14a. Now just to hear them applaud, dont crack a joke, please. Especially if it is a whatsapp forward. We have all read and deleted it. Make a genuine humourous point, make them laugh at you - yes, please.
15. The panel is not your Oscar/Grammy moment. So, give your thank you speeches elsewhere.
16. This is not your appraisal either. So spare us the list of stuff you did in one year.
17. It is not your, "Tell me about yourself" moment in the interview either.

What I like to hear on a panel is authentic voices. Simple. Genuine voices. And if they want to talk to you after the panel, maybe, just maybe you touched a chord. Or if you get another invite. Else, you know...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...