Skip to main content

Too much of a good thing, greed and all that

 Many of us receive unwanted notifications from the apps on our phone. And some of them take the cake.  Until recently, it was limited to mail and gmails spam filter neatly took care of it. 

But now every app has 5 classifications (or more of notifications). Each of them wants you to see their app - probably some metric on the lines of "times app opened" is being tracked. So, obviously the geniuses who design the app have come up with downright stupid and irritating ways to make the user open the app. 

Sample a few - most are real - a few are parody

Connect with your latest corporate connect. (Why?)

A year of being in touch with X (again, corporate networking site, god why?)

Happy hours on spectacles (huh?)

Three days since you purchased coriander (cringe)

Credit card rewards app wants me to login everyday and has gamified it to a Pavlovian level. 

Flight booking app of airline wants me to fly to random locations

Travel site wants me to travel here and there

There are so many notifications that I have decided to mute every notification. 

At what point does this become evil? Dont marketers and designers realise this? That you are annoying your customer? 

Why can't people think differently? Or is it just convenient to be caught up with a herd mentality - after all when your competitor is sending 30 notifications, you have to send 31 right! Else they shout louder and they win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...