Skip to main content

On Selling

 Had a small interaction with a sales team of a learning company on "How to sell to L&D" folks.

What is unique about selling to L&D folks? Having been on both sides of the table, here are some of my observations:

As a seller:

L&D teams want complete solutions. That doesn't necessarily mean they will buy the complete solution - but they want to know that you have the complete solution. 

On the other hand they will want to integrate everything you have to everything they have even if it is an xl sheet. Or competency framework. They want everything to talk their language.

They love customization. They will want customization. They will ask customization. They hate to pay for customization though. How to tackle this?

Almost always never get into price negotiations. Get into value conversations. And as the price reduces, convey the value reduction. For this price, you get this - and so on. That doesnt mean you dont reduce the price - there are situations you will do that, but price cannot be your sole point of negotiation.  

My favourite framework for sellers is the Trusted advisor framework by David Maister. As a seller, if I am the first person they can think of when it comes to their challenges - I am in a great place. I want conversations with them where we talk about stuff that is going on even though it may not result in work for me right away. And I often call up such sales people - who know the lay of the land. It helps me stay abreast of what is going in the market. 

You want to get referrals from them. And you often do. A lot of work comes via referrals. So, if they like to refer you - you are in a good place. 

It is a small world. They talk to each other. 

There are people who do proposal scouting. Avoid them. 

There is almost always a question on ROI. And it can be measured - but almost always they wont walk the talk on it. 

Tick in the boxes are real. 

It is a long game. LnD work will repeat every year. 

As a buyer:

On the other hand, if you are a pushy sales guy - na. I hate it. Or if you only talk your product, well, I dont want that either. 

You guys have no idea of how many places I have referred companies to - even though I might never have given business to you directly. 

This is me, but I want unique solutions. I like to try out new stuff. And almost always I give a patient hearing to someone who is creating something new. This is my personal bias. 

I hate it if you send me pushy mails. Or so called "action driven" mails. Can we meet next Wed or Thursday - I can see through that. I am around next week - can we catch up - No. Reminder on reminder - please don't. 

Of course, I want updates. New products. New stuff you got going. Spam me selectively, I will read.

I like it if you guys are knowledgeable. Dont b*s me - please. I know most of the things going around. 

Tips nobody tells you:

For all their talks on risk taking - LnD folks dont take risk when it comes to training solutions. They love trusted partners. The higher your guarantee of success the higher your chance of them calling you back. 

You can move with them as they change organizations. 

TTT's never work - almost. 

L&D for engagement is a real thing for many L&D teams regardless of your (my) belief in them. 

ROI conversations are also real  - so either go after the org goal and sign up for it or agree with stakeholders that LnD is almost a correlation solution, not causatory. (Both work equally well, IMO)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and

The Mintzberg triangle

At a recent training, someone spoke about the Mintzberg triangle. I located it here . Image from that page reproduced here. The page linked above has a better explanation of diagram above, but what intrigued me was that the triangle exists for practically anything. The facilitator referred to this in the context of facilitation. Of how facilitation has science, craft and art to it. That is so true,  I thought. Worth a thought! Need to read of Mintzberg though...

Waigaya and Sangen Shugi - Honda

Two big takeaways from Driving Honda were Waigaya and Sangen Shugi. A few days ago, we were working on a strategy module for a company. As we leafed through old and new theories and books around the same - one comment which caught my eye was Henry Mintzbergs comment where he says "Strategy is like weeds, it has to grow all around your company" A lot of times organisations dip into their pool of employees (and sometimes customers) and solicit ideas from them. This happens either at an offsite or a meeting or some quarterly review and the ideas pile up. Most companies today have an innovation program that encourages bottom up ideation. Many of these ideas are future strategy - provided someone is listening. Sometimes these ideas are not immediately implementable - but if one keeps looking, there might be valuable stuff in there. And if (post such programs) ideas die very often, the motivation of someone to keep doing it will also diminish. Waigaya is what Honda call