Skip to main content

A little bit each day

I purchased my first digital camera in 2001 or perhaps early 2002. A few days back I realised I had some of those old pictures stored away. Those images had a royal resolution of 1 mega pixel. The size of the photographs - every single one of them was less than 100kb. 

At that point, digital cameras were still new. So new that people will still buying non digital SLRs and film cameras. 

Approximately 20 years later, digital camera resolution has grown by leaps and bounds - our phone cameras offer resolution that was deemed impossible then. 

I was in awe of the technology then - but seeing those images of 20 years  ago - I was in awe even more to see how technology has progressed.

At that time, I was a coder (or thereabouts) trying to find my feet in the tech industry. 

10 years ago, I had another digital camera with the resolution of approximately 12MP. And a few years back we stopped carrying cameras anywhere - only phones. 10 years ago I made another shift in my career. 

Point being a 10 and 20 year gap seems impossible to visualise. As Bill Gates famously said, "We overestimate what we can achieve in 1 year and underestimate in 10"

And thats true. I started this blog in 2011. Here is the first post. When I started the blog - I thought was it too late. This is my 500th post on the blog approximately 10 years later. The blog has enabled me to put my thoughts in writing, clarify my own thinking and of course serve as an index mechanism that enables me to organize my thoughts. 

So, it is never too late. It is always an evolution. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zero to One

Zero to One by Peter Thiel is a nice read. (Yes - if I sit down to write a book review - the book has to be worth it - and usually good - so most of my book reviews are about good books.You can stop here if that's the information you seek.) Where this book scores is in contrarian thoughts and contrarian questions that make you think. It starts with a four big lessons learned from the 90s dot-com crash that is, Make incremental advances, Stay lean and flexible, Improve on the competition and Focus on product, not sales. Just as you warm up to it, he says, the opposite rules are more correct - which are: It is better to risk boldness than triviality. A bad plan is better than no plan. Competitive markets destroy profits. Sales matters just as much as products. And finally leaves with a simple definition of contrarianism - it is not to oppose the crowd (or follow a smaller or newer or older crowd) but to think for yourself. "All happy companies are different"...

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and ...

Anti networking year

I dont usually go out of my way to network. But over the last few years, I ensured that I spend some time creating new connections. It is a small fragment of my time that goes into it, but what I realised was that some of those networking events were not really working out. I also took time to post about the things I do (mostly on Linkedin) and here (nobody reads this - this is more of a note to myself).  It seemed to be the same set of people saying the same set of things. So, this year I have decided to step back.  Unless it is a truly unique event, I wont be going to any event - and thats how the unconference happened.  Unless it is a really significant update, I wont be posting about it.  And spend time creating and doing the things I like to do. Perhaps read more. Or write more. It is April now and I have done well so far.  Managed to read a few books. Actively working on a few creations. And then some. Lets see.  So for all I know, I might write less ...